Roofing systems from trusted manufacturers are typically reliable and durable. However, when a severe storm hits, even the sturdiest roof will be tested. That’s why experts recommend inspecting your roof after an extreme weather event. Look out for signs of damage, and address any issues you find immediately.
In this post, Progressive Remodeling & Roofing Company shares some tips on how you can properly handle roof damage caused by a storm.
Top Things to Check
It’s always best to call a professional to conduct a post-storm roof inspection. Apart from having the expertise and tools, they can also help you navigate the insurance claims process.
You can also safely perform an inspection yourself from the ground using a pair of binoculars. Pay close attention to these things when checking your roof:
- Roof shingles – Look out for granule buildup, dents, and other kinds of structural damage.
- Sealant – Check if the sealant has become loose and if there is peeling along roof penetrations.
- Flashing – Look for damage on the edges of your roof as well as the areas surrounding your chimney, vents and skylights.
Call Your Insurance Provider
In addition to contacting a roofer, you should also reach out to your insurance company and file a claim for your roof. Follow these simple steps:
- Document the damaged areas by taking lots of photos and detailed notes.
- Make sure to file your claim as soon as possible. Most insurers limit the filing of claims to within one year of the event that caused the damage.
- Get quotes from different roofers to give you a ballpark idea of the cost to repair your roof. This will help you ensure that you’re getting the right amount from your insurance company.
- Once everything has been settled with your insurer, your roofing contractor can proceed with repairing the damage.
Progressive Remodeling & Roofing Company specializes in residential and commercial roof services. With over a decade of experience in the industry, we can ensure top-notch workmanship for your project. Call us at (813) 765-1025 or fill out our contact form to request a free quote.